IISc is locally known as TATA INSTITUTE.Bangalore is connected by air, rail and road to all the metropolises and most major cities of the country. Also, one can fly direct to Bangalore from several international airports
Arrival by plane
The local airport is called Kempegowda International Airport. From the airport there are two ways to get to downtown:
Reaching the city from Airport by Taxi :
- IISc is about 35kms from the airport. Prepaid taxi (currently, costs Rs. 750, and the counter is available near the exit of the Airport Building) Click here for Prepaid taxi , or a city taxi (costs about Rs. 700, and a queue for the same is just outside the airport building) Click here App based taxi .
Reaching the city from Airport by Shuttle Bus :
- Shuttle bus service operated by Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC), runs from the airport to various areas in Bangalore city every 15 minutes. Details of the schedule can be found ( Click here ).Additional information on the airport can also be found at its official website ( Click here )
Arrival by Train
- The city railway station is about 7 kms from IISc campus. One will have to get out of the station from platform number ONE and reach the prepaid taxi stand and hire a city taxi (costs about Rs 150). Majestic (7kms from IISc) is the central Bus stand in Bangalore which is just opposite to the City Railway station. If one happens to reach Majestic, Bangalore by bus, reach platform number 22 from where almost all buses come to the Institute.
- The Yeshwantpura railway station is located at less than 2 km from the institute campus. One can take a 'pre-paid' auto from the counter located outside the exit gate of platform number 6. The prepaid autos shouldn't charge more than Rs. 80 (as of Sep 2013), and is the best deal given the options available. The landmark is CNR Rao Circle from where one would take the entry to IISc. Though the prepaid contract says IISc (Tata Institute as more popularly known) gate as the destination, the hostels and most of the academic departments are within 500 mts from the gate, and hence the auto can be requested to drop at your destination.
Arrival by Bus
- If one plans to take a bus into town, one will have to move past Malleswaram 18th cross bus stand towards Yeshwantpura in order to reach IISc (also popularly called Tata Institute). There is also a bus stop on the highway between the yellow over bridge and Prof. CNR Rao circle, and another one at Prof.CNR Rao circle (on Sir CV Raman Road ). Finally there is a bus stop at Yeshwantpura tollgate, just off campus near R block. Most buses go to one of these places.
- Rasa Restaurant (1st cross, Sampige road)
- Rajdhani (Food court 14, 3rd floor, Mantri Square)
- Chung's Chinese Corner (16h Cross Road, Margosa Road)
- 1947 Restaurant (4th floor, Above GIRIAS,15th cross, Malleshwaram)
- Sheraton Grand (Dr Rajkumar Rd, Rajaji Nagar)
- Beijing Bites (Food court 14, 3rd floor, Mantri Square)
Click here for more information on restaurants
Click here for IISc route map
- IISc Health Centre (IISc Campus)
- M S RAMAIAH HOSPITAL (New B E L Road, M S Ramaiah Nagar, MSRIT Post)
- COLUMBIA ASIA HOSPITAL (26/4, Brigade Gateway, Beside Metro Cash and Carry West, Malleshwaram West)
- ESI HOSPITAL (8th Main Rd, IISc Gymnasium, Malleshwaram West)
- APOLLO HOSPITAL (No. 1, Old No. 28, Platform Road, Near Mantri Square Mall, Sheshadripuram)
- PEOPLE TREE HOSPITAL (No.2, Tumkur Road, Opp. Taj Vivanta, Goraguntepalya, Yeshwanthpur)
- K C GENERAL HOSPITAL (#89, 5th Cross Road, Behind Police Station, Malleshwaram)